How to Choose a Jones Act Lawyer
If you have been injured on a ship, near docks, or on an oil rig or derrick, it is important to be aware of your rights and understand how best to protect yourself, your family, and your future. To help, our maritime lawyers have offered some helpful advice for how to choose a Jones Act lawyer in Texas that is right for you.
Why Choose a Jones Act Lawyer
If you work in the maritime industry and have been injured on-the-job, you need legal guidance that is tailored to the needs of your individual case. Admiralty law, also called maritime law, is the area of law that protects seamen, longshoreman, and other maritime workers who have been injured due to the negligence of an employer or other party. Because maritime law is very specialized, it is important to choose a lawyer who has experience managing maritime law cases.
In order to choose a lawyer who is right for your case, there are some specific steps you can take when weighing the many legal options available. Some helpful things to remember when choosing a Jones Act lawyer include:
- Choose a lawyer who has verifiable experience successfully managing maritime cases. Research prospective attorneys online to find out more about their reputation, successful cases, and practice areas.
- Find out what resources the prospective lawyer has, such as relationships with experts or specialists in various areas of the maritime industry, as well as healthcare if you are injured.
- If a law firm has more than one lawyer on staff, make sure that you know which attorney will be directly managing your case, and any other parties that may be involved.
- Choose an attorney who represents clients in the state where the accident or injury occurred, or who can form a relationship with legal counsel in other jurisdictions if needed.
- Schedule a consultation with each perspective lawyer or law firm prior to entering a contractual relationship. Ask questions, address concerns, and determine if there is the foundation for a working relationship.
Jones Act Lawyers in Texas You can Trust
We bring passion, skill, and experience that our clients can count on. Follow this link to learn more about maritime attorneys. If you have been injured in Texas or elsewhere, and you have questions about maritime law or the Jones Act contact our office today to learn more.